So, what does it take to be a Yoga Teacher ?
– Knowledge of anatomy ?
– Expertise at headstand and headstand?
– Hyper-flexibility ?
– Yoga Alliance Or Yoga University accreditation ?
– Repeated visits to Yoga School ?
What if I said none of the Above ?
Yes, the points in the list are optional but not core to becoming a Yoga Teacher.
To become a Yoga Teacher one must know how to be a Yoga Student. The Yoga Student has to have some essential qualities, which have nothing to do with the list above.
A true Yoga Student is,
– Sincerely Disciplined & Committed to Sadhana.
– Never doubts the process of Yoga.
– Is humble, considerate and energetic.
– Understands Yoga as a pursuit of Self mastery and not Asana.
– Honours the culture and living tradition of Yoga.
Only when the Yoga Student has a well rounded approach to the process and practice of Yoga he/she can be an efficient channel of transmission and inspiration.
A Yoga Teacher then is nothing but a living inspiration, a reflection of what the practice and faith has become.
Do You, as a Yoga Teacher see yourself as a Yoga Student ?